Education in Sherwood has a history that goes back to 1923. The first educational opportunity in this area began the year a one room church, Sylvan Hills Community Church, was built. The church shared their building with the school until about 1928.
County Board of Education records from 1920 document over site of all schools in Pulaski County. This included Little Rock Special School District and North Little Rock Special School District. In 1926, a petition was filed with the county board to dissolve districts 43 and 9. The areas were what is currently Sylvan Hills and Sherwood. The intent was to create one common rural special school district. J.H. Forby, R.H. Todd, and W.D. Chumley were named and appointed as judges to conduct an election to approve the proposal. The election was held on Saturday, May 3, 1926. The proceedings were ruled illegal because the district 9 “petition failed to have the required number of qualified of electors.” In July 1927 an election was held to create a county special school district out of the schools in the Pulaski County excepting those in cities containing a population exceeding 10,000. The Arkansas Legislature passed a referendum pursuant to Act 152 of 1927 that joined 38 independent school districts into a special school district known as Pulaski County Special School District
The first school building, Sylvan Hills School, was built in 1928 at 8900 Highway 107 for students in the 1st -9th grades. The original building, known as Roy Todd Hall, no longer exists. In December of 1928 Pulaski County Special School District purchased the lots just north and south of the original building. The lots were purchased for $550 from Justin Matthews. In April of 1929 a plea was made to build a new building to accommodate the increased population of the area. In February 1930 at a price of $26,542 for fixtures, furniture, and building, J.H. Forby Hall opened. It was constructed on the lot south of Roy Todd Hall. It contained 8 rooms and an auditorium. It was for students in the 5th-9th grades. That building is still standing and is currently the site of the Sherwood First Church of the Nazarene.
Students in grades 10-12 attended Argenta High School in North Little Rock until 1929 when the current North Little Rock High School opened. High school students continued to attend North Little Rock High School until Sylvan Hills High School was constructed in 1956.
After the war, in about 1948, a third building was constructed. That building was built on the north lot purchased in 1928 and was named Price Hall after Mrs. Gertrude Price, one of the school’s original teachers. That building is currently the Sherwood Retirement Home.
The city of Sherwood was established in 1948.
In 1955 a school was opened for students with special needs. The school for exceptional children in Kindergarten-12th grade attended classes in the “Y”. Several years later, land for a school was made available by the Fred Rains family. North Hills Exceptional School opened in February of 1959. The name was later changed to Woodland Hills. It remained in that site until 1980 when a new facility was built at 2200 Thornhill.
In 1956 Sylvan Hills High School opened at 401 Dee Jay Hudson Drive. This new school was for students in grades 10– 12. The first graduating class in 1959 consisted of 101 students. After the desegregation of Little Rock Central High School in 1957, the high schools in Little Rock were closed during the 1958-59 school year. The closing had an impact on Sylvan Hills High School as parents tried to find a place for their high school students to attend classes. The original school building was torn down and students in grades 1-9 continued to attend classes in Forby Hall and Price Hall.
In 1960 a community effort to build a school inside the city of Sherwood was completed with the opening of Sherwood Elementary School at 307 Verona Avenue. This was a neighborhood school for students in the 1st-6th grade. In 1964 a new elementary school was build for the rest of the students who had been attending school in Price Hall. The school was built across the street from the high school at 402 Dee Jay Hudson Drive.
Students in junior high continued to attend classes at 8900 Hwy 107 until a new high school opened in the fall of 1968. The students in 10th – 12th grade moved into the building at 484 Bear Paw Road a few weeks into the 1968-69 school year. The students in 6th – 8th grade moved into the building at 401 Dee Jay Hudson with the 9th grade.
The next change came when the Arkansas Legislature made kindergarten a part of the elementary schools. Schools that had been for students in the 1st – 6th grade began housing kindergarten classes.
There were no new buildings constructed until 1980 when Woodland Hills and Oakbrooke Elementary were constructed at 2200 Thornhill Drive. The schools were independent of each other until 1983. At that time the schools combined as Oakbrooke Elementary. Special needs students in 7th – 12th were sent to North Pulaski High School.
William Jefferson Clinton Interdistrict Magnet School opened in 1995 with special ceremonies that included the president and first lady of the United States. Clinton Elementary was opened as a magnet school specializing in speech and technology.
In 2001 schools in Pulaski County Special School District were re-structured. Elementary schools contained students in Kindergarten-5th grade with the 6th-8th grade students becoming a part of middle school. The school at 401 Dee Jay Hudson Drive that had been Sylvan Hills Jr. High became Sylvan Hills Middle School. Students in the 9th grade moved to Sylvan Hills High School.
The newest school is Sylvan Hills Middle School. It was constructed in 2011 at 10001 Johnson Drive. It continues to serve students in the 6th-8th grade.